Automatically create sequential numbers for a numeric question

Hello everybody!!

In our forms, I’ve added a “number” question that is related to the number of nests. I’d like to know if there is a way for that number question to automatically generate number in a sequential order, having in mind there will be people using different tablets for the forms (this number would be to be sequential regardless of the tablets being used!).

If there is, please let me know how. It would be very appreciated :smiling_face:

Thank you,

Sara

Regrettably, implementing such a feature isn’t feasible due to its design implications, which may result in duplication.
To illustrate, consider this scenario: when an entry is added on device A, it’s assigned the number 1. Simultaneously, another user adds an entry on device B, which also receives the number 1, as device B lacks awareness of device A’s activities. Consequently, upon uploading both entries, you’ll encounter duplicate entries numbered as 1.

Nevertheless, it’s worth noting that collecting sequential numbers isn’t imperative, as this can be accomplished during post-processing using tools like Excel or similar software.

To add a sequential number column in Excel, you can use a formula or a feature called “Fill Series.” Here’s how to do it using both methods:

Using a Formula:

1. In an empty column next to your data, enter the number 1 in the first cell (e.g., cell A2).
  2. In the cell below, enter the following formula: =A2+1.
  3. Drag the fill handle (the small square at the bottom-right corner of the cell) down to fill the formula for the desired number of rows.

Using Fill Series:

1. Enter the number 1 in the first cell (e.g., cell A2).
  2. Select the cell with the number 1.
  3. Move your cursor to the bottom-right corner of the selected cell until it turns into a black crosshair.
  4. Click and drag down to fill the column with sequential numbers.

In both cases, Excel will automatically increment the numbers in each subsequent cell, creating a sequential series. Adjust the starting number and formula as needed based on your specific requirements.