Location Error Message

Hi everyone,

I recently started having an issue when trying to set the location in a project when in the field. Our fieldwork centre uses a bank of iPads for visiting students to collect data, and often we’re unable to access wifi. Starting yesterday, when students click update location, they receive an error - KCLErrorDomain error 0.

I seem to be able to hot spot my phone, connect to an iPad, and it seems to rectify the issue. However, this solution is not always an option, and I was hoping someone could help shed some light on how I might fix this concern properly.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Austin

Hi, thank you for reporting this.

Since it just started to happen, have you done anything to the iPads, like updating iOS or changing Apple IDs?

To obtain GPS data, your iPad will first try to use the GPS chip, then WiFi, then cell tower triangulation.
If the ipads are wifi only models, they do not have the gps chip therefore without wifi they cannot get a location.

Could you please provide the iOS version then so we can look into it? It is all good for us on iOS 14.4

Cheers

Also make sure the location permission is granted to Epicollect5

Thanks for the reply - I’m in Sydney, Australia, so you’ll have to accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you.

The iPads are running 10.3.3 - and it’s telling me that it’s up-to-date

They have worked fine without being connected to wifi before Thursday this week.

As I mentioned, when I seem to do a reset by toggling connecting to a hotspot, when no wifi is possible, and then turning it off, it’s almost as if it resets and location works.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for this.

I have it toggled to “Always”